Alderbury FC, About Us
1903 - present day
Alderbury Football Club was formed in 1903 in the village of Alderbury 5 miles south of Salisbury, Wiltshire.
Over the years the club has become an integral part of the village and works closely with the Parish council, Longford Estate, Alderbury & West Grimstead C Of E Primary School and many other organisations to help continue its success. It was involved in helping to produce the village plan and was also involved in the consultation for the Salisbury & District local development framework.
Alderbury FC 1910 team
The club originally consisted of one men's team that played on the local recreation field in the Saturday Salisbury & District league. The field was owned by Longford Estate and sub-let to the football club by the parish council. Originally, the changing facilities were a small block building intended for use by the Cricket club as a store. Read how things developed over the years:
1925 - the earliest records found show that the men’s team was the runner up in the Norman Court cup, beaten by Downton in the final.
1980 - the new pavilion was built which although unfinished and designed around cricket, was a much improved facility.
1987 - Sunday football was introduced with one team being entered into the Salisbury & District league
1989 – youth football began! Our U11s entered the Burbage league for the first time encouraging boys and girls from the local primary school to take part. The late Lady Radnor became President of the football club in the early 1990’s and continued to support us in this role until her death in 2005.
1999 – U8s enter the Badger League, our first venture into mini soccer. As the club continued to form more and more youth’s teams, the single recreation pitch was no longer enough to cope with demand.
1990 – the club started training at Junction Road, Alderbury. This land was levelled and seeded, a car park laid and a small wooden building that was once the old West Grimstead School was dismantled, moved 1½ miles up the road and finally re-erected by volunteers from the football club.
1993 - two full size pitches and a youth pitch now in use at Junction Road. The football club left the recreation field site for exclusive use by the cricket club.
2001 - the football club had so many teams that following negotiations with the Parish council, it was agreed to use the recreation field facility once again.
At this point the football club had to undertake a lot of improvement works on the changing rooms because it had fallen into a state of disrepair since the Cricket club disbanded. Shower facilities were installed so that the men’s first team could continue their climb through the divisions.
Since then, the building at Junction Road has required constant work in its battle against the elements and overuse by an ever-increasing number of teams. This work has included re-wiring, new armoured cable for temporary floodlights and a new roof as well as constant decorating and ongoing improvements, mainly carried out and funded by the football club.
2003 – Alderbury Football Club became a Registered Community amateur sports club
2008 - Alderbury Football Club gained its ‘Community Status’ Charter Standard with the FA, only the third club in the county to achieve this at that time.
2016 - Saturday Seniors claim Salisbury & District Premier League title, Morrison Cup and Premier Cup (pictured)
2018 - Men's Saturday team win Southampton & District Div 1 and runners up in Bledisloe Cup
2018 - Men's Sunday team runners up in Salisbury & District Div 1
2018 - U16 Girls won Plate Cup and 3rd in Winchester League Div 1
2018 - U16s 3rd in Testway Div 1 (losing out on 2nd on the last day)
2018 - U15 Warriors runners up and promoted to Testway Div 1
2018 - U15 Dragons Runners up in Testway Div 1 and runners up in Nadder Valley Cup
2018 - U12s won Testway Div 1 and the Plate Cup